Visit historic Harlem and witness its ongoing Renaissance with our Harlem Tour. Enjoy a guided bus tour through Harlem's charming tree-lined streets and historic districts before attending a worship service in a local church where you will experience the soul-stirring power of live gospel music.
- Take a guided bus tour of historic Harlem with a live tour guide
- See the famous Apollo Theater and the Cotton Club
- Attend a Sunday morning Gospel service
Learn about Harlem from its origins as a rural Dutch community to its transformation into a summer retreat for New York's most prominent families. Journey into the past and see the African-American Mecca for writers and artists at the turn of the century. Hear about Harlem's troubled past during the 1960's and 1970's and view its present day community beam with pride as it revels in Harlem's renaissance.
See famous NYC sights and landmarks such as Columbia University, City College, Morningside Heights, the Morris Jumel Mansion, Sylvan Terrace, Strivers Row, the Cotton Club, the Apollo Theater, the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Sugar Hill, Duke Ellington's apartment, the famous 125th street and many more. End your tour of Harlem by joining a local congregation* for the Sunday worship mass service and experience the soul-stirring power of gospel music with a live gospel choir!
If you are not available on Sunday, come and join us on our Harlem Gospel tour on Wednesday!
*For many years we have developed relations with churches in Harlem and followed their congregations and gospel choirs. For this reason, church stops may now take place in the north of Harlem or in the Bronx. This will in no case affect the content or the schedule of the tour.
- Tour runs every Sunday.
- Tours in English: departure at 9:30 a.m.
- Tours in French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese: departure at 9:00 a.m.
- Tour duration: about 4 hours.
- Tour duration may vary depending on the length of the church service.
- Departure point: 690 Eighth Avenue.
- Return point: Times Square area.
- Please come and exchange your voucher 24 hours before the tour* at our boutique and be at departure point at least 15 minutes prior to departure.
- *If you can't come to our office 24 hours in advance, you can also exhange get your tickets the morning of the tour.
- Tour available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese based on the number of participants for each language.
- Tours can be run in two languages.
- Child fare is for children between the ages of 5 and 11.
- Children under the age of 5 not occupying a seat will not be charged.
- Out of respect for congregants, we ask you not to wear shorts, tank tops and flip flops.
- Cameras and camrecorders are not allowed inside the church.
- For wheelchair accessibility, please contact us at least 1 month in advance.
- Tour price does not include meals and beverages, optional gratuities, or hotel pick-up and drop-off.
- NEW YORK PASS holders must contact us at 1 (212) 391-0900 to take advantage of your $5 discount OFF THE HARLEM GOSPEL TOUR.
A $69 special rate applies for Easter and Holiday Season (Dec 21 and 28, 2014). Tour duration may vary depending on the length of the church service. People wearing shorts, tank tops or flip flops will not be allowed on the tour. New York Pass holders can receive their discount by purchasing the tour at our Visitor Center.